Geriatric Education for EMS (GEMS)
GEMS provides EMS practitioners at all levels with the skills and knowledge to address the unique medical, social, environmental and communications challenges of older adults. Developed by NAEMT, in partnership with the American Geriatrics Society, GEMS empowers EMS practitioners to help improve medical outcomes and quality of life for geriatric patients.
GEMS features case-based lectures, live action video, hands-on skill stations, simulation and small group scenarios to fully engage students in the learning experience. GEMS covers the following topics:
- Changes with age
- Assessment of older adults
- Pharmacology and medication toxicity
- Psycho-social emergencies
- Elder abuse
- End-of-life care issues
- Cardiovascular and respiratory emergencies
- Neurological emergencies and altered mental status
- Mobile integrated healthcare
- Special considerations for older adults in disaster response
- Skin and wound care
- Medical devices frequently used by older adults
Two GEMS courses are offered - a core and advanced course. They may be offered separately or sequentially. Both courses are appropriate for EMTs, paramedics, emergency medical responders, nurses, physician assistants and physicians. GEMS is accredited by CAPCE and recognized by NREMT.
The following GEMS courses are offered to address the needs of providers and instructors:
- Core Provider Course: 8-hour classroom course for EMTs, Paramedics, emergency responders, nurses, physician assistants and physicians. Upon successful completion of the course, students receive a certificate of completion, a wallet card recognizing them as GEMS core providers for 4 years, and 8 hours of CAPCE credit.
- Advanced Provider Course: 8-hour classroom course for EMTs, paramedics, emergency responders, nurses, physician assistants and physicians that expands upon the curriculum presented in the core course, with more in-depth content and complex scenarios. Students who successfully complete this course receive a certificate of completion, wallet card good for four years, and 8 hours of CAPCE credit.