Heartsaver® CPR AED
After successfully completing this course, students should be able to:
- describe how high-quality CPR improves survival
- explain the concepts of the Chain of Survival
- recognize when someone needs CPR
- perform high-quality CPR for an adult alone or as a team member during multi-rescuer CPR (child and infant CPR modules are optional)
- give effective breaths using mouth-to-mouth or a barrier device for all age groups
- demonstrate how to use an AED on an adult (child and infant AED modules are optional)
- describe when and how to help a choking adult or child (infant choking module is optional).
Upon successful completion of the course, including a CPR and AED skills test, students receive a Heartsaver CPR AED course completion card that is valid for two years.
The classroom-based course is approximately 4.5 hours, with skills testing by an American Heart Association Instructor during the course.