Heartsaver® First Aid
After successfully completing this course, students should be able to:
- list the priorities, roles, and responsibilities of the first aid rescuer
- describe the key steps in first aid
- describe the assessment of and first aid actions for the following life-threatening conditions: heart attack, difficulty breathing, choking, severe bleeding, shock, and stroke
- use an epinephrine pen
- control bleeding
- recognize elements of common injuries and illnesses
- recognize the legal questions that apply to first aid rescuers.
Upon successful completion of the course, including a first aid skills demonstration, students receive a Heartsaver First Aid course completion card that is valid for two years.
The classroom-based course is approximately 2.75 hours, with skills testing by an American Heart Association Instructor during the course.